GRANDIOSE PARLOR HAS MOVED HERE:
WWW.GRANDIOSEPARLOR.COM

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Update on Moringa Oleifera...the Story of a Nigerian Expatriate in Malaysia

This is about a mail I received from Dr Muyibi in Malaysia. His son Kayode, a blogger (kazey Journal), had read my earlier post on Moringa and decided to forward it to him.

Dr Muyibi has conducted extensive research on Moringa and it uses in water purification in Malaysia. His sojourn in far away Malaysia is borne out of necessity. I'm glad he has become accomplished in his academic endeavors, but the fact that he could not secure adequate funding from Nigeria, his motherland, is saddening. His experience shed more light on the "brain drain phenomenon" that was prevalent in Nigeria in those days. He plans on visiting Nigeria in the next couple of months, his experience this time around will indicate if indeed Nigeria has changed for the better, or all we have been hearing about NEEDS- the National Economic Empowerment and Development Strategy- Nigeria's home-grown poverty reduction strategy and the need for Nigerian expats to come back home is a bunch of lies.

His mail:

Dear Imnakoya,
Good day to you in the USA. My son sent me a blog
message you posted recently relating to use of Moringa
oleifera seed in water treatment by a NGO based in
Nigeria which is being funded by the World Bank. It
may interest you to also know that I am a Nigerian
Academic now based in Malaysia who has been carrying
out research into the use of Moringa oleifera seeds in
water treatment for the past 15 years. My PhD at the
University of Newcastle upon Tyne(1995 graduate)
funded by the Chevening Scholarship through the
British Council was on Moringa oleifera seed in water
and wastewater treatment. I have more than 30
publications in journals and conference proceedings. I
have supervised more than 10 graduate students in this
area too.
On my return to Nigeria in 1995 I tried my best to
sell the idea but could not make much headway so I
relocated to Malaysia where I immediately got a
Malaysian Goverment Research grant to continue my
research. I am presently in the process of developing
a relatively high technology method of processing the
seed for wider applications. In October/November 2004
I was on vacation in Nigeria during which period I
delivered lectures in 5 universities and the National
Biotechnology Directorate in Abuja on use Moringa
oleifera seed in water treatment as well as other
environmental biotechnology topics applicable in
developing countries. I will be going to Nigeria for
the Science and Technology conference in Abuja
organised by the Federal Ministry of Science and
Technology from July 25 to 28 2005 where i will seize
the opportunity to present the latest techniques and
applications of Moringa oleifera seed in water
treatment as well as other uses.
I will appreciate it if you can get me the details
about the Nigerian based NGO which is working on this
so that I can get in touch with them for collaboration
and networking.

Keep in touch
Suleyman

SULEYMAN AREMU MUYIBI, PhD, MNSE, Reg. Engr(COREN), MIAWQ, MMANCID
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR and HEAD
DEPARTMENT OF BIOTECHNOLOGY ENGINEERING
KULLIYYAH OF ENGINEERING
INTERNATIONAL ISLAMIC UNIVERSITY MALAYSIA
JALAN GOMBAK 53100 KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA


*********************
UPDATE: June 15, 2005

Additional information from Dr Muyibi:
website for for the latest info on Moringa: Moringa enthusiasts .

Note: the leader of the project team in Leicester University
UK Dr. Geoff Folkard was DR Muyibi's external examiner for his PhD thesis at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne.

imk